Note: Hi, buddies! Just a a fast reminder – a number of the hyperlinks on this website are affiliate hyperlinks, and so I could earn a bit of money on qualifying orders. It doesn’t value you something additional, and is a pleasant approach to assist assist this website! I additionally wish to level out that I don’t promote merchandise I haven’t really tried or merchandise that I don’t belief. 🙂
If you’ve been following me right here at Meat Free Keto for some time, you recognize that I take pleasure in drawing inspiration from varied cuisines for my recipes. I believe it’s actually enjoyable to discover different cultures via meals, components and rituals round consuming. Fun truth: I really wished to get a Masters Degree in Gastronomy with a give attention to Food & Culture, however I couldn’t justify the expense, only for the enjoyable of it. Anywho, my husband and I wished to plan a visit to Hawaii for this winter, as a result of I’ve by no means been anyplace tropical, however we’e realizing this isn’t within the playing cards for us this yr. So, I made a decision to create a bit of mini trip for us through meals. The first recipe on this culinary tour is a low carb vegan primary poke that may be eaten alone as a aspect salad, or inside a poke bowl.
Is this a standard recipe? Of course not. It’s watermelon as an alternative of tuna and it’s being made exterior of Boston by a lady who has by no means even been to Hawaii. However, this recipe is completely scrumptious and positively value making if you wish to infuse your day with a bit of Hawaiian taste.
Also, earlier than you are concerned an excessive amount of: sure, you may have fruit on keto. There’s a saying that I like to use to conditions like this: the injury is within the dose. What I imply by that, is whereas watermelon isn’t low carb by nature, for those who restrict the serving measurement, you may simply accommodate the carbs into your day. In this case, the serving measurement is 75g, which is a few half cup of cubed watermelon, and it accommodates 5.3g of internet carbs. So, whereas it’s not the bottom carb meals on this planet, it’s not out of the realm of prospects.
I’ll be posting a poke bowl recipe utilizing this poke in a bit, so keep tuned for that! I’d additionally love to listen to for those who make this – both within the feedback beneath, or on instagram.
Notes on Making Low Carb Vegan Basic Poke
- Order of operations is vital right here. While it could not appear essential to empty the watermelon, or let it marinate, it really makes a fairly large distinction in the long run.
- The recipe requires round 2 cups (300g) of cubed watermelon, which is concerning the quantity you can purchase pre-cut in shops. This was carried out very purposefully, so that you don’t have to purchase a complete watermelon!
- This recipe doubles actually properly. And realistically, you don’t even have to totally double the marinade components. For double the amount of watermelon, I used 1.5 occasions the quantity of marinade components. While you may simply double all the pieces, I seen that plenty of the sauce simply pooled on the backside of the bowl, and was type of wasted.
- While I try to supply correct dietary info, totally different varieties and types of components can have various nutrient values, so your calculations may not be the identical as mine. If it’s fairly shut, I wouldn’t fear an excessive amount of about it! If it’s a bit far off, possibly double verify the mathematics or the ingredient labels.
Low Carb Vegan Basic Poke
This Hawaiian-inspired low carb vegan model of a primary poke makes for a scrumptious aspect dish and provides a little bit of flare to a veggie bowl.
- 300g (~2 cups) cubed watermelon
- 1 tbsp soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp unseasoned rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp contemporary grated ginger
- half of tsp pink pepper flakes
- 2 stalks scallions, sliced (inexperienced half solely)
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds (I like utilizing these black ones for the drama)
- Cube the watermelon into items which might be round 1inch/2.5cm. Place the items right into a bowl, and chill (uncovered) within the fridge anyplace from 1 hour to in a single day. This will let the watermelon drain fully, and the floor will dry out from being uncovered within the fridge, which can enable it to soak up the sauce higher.
- Once the watermelon has chilled (for nonetheless lengthy you determine), drain the cubes and switch them to a lidded storage container.
- In a small dish, whisk collectively the remaining components (aside from the sesame seeds). Pour this marinade over the watermelon and shake the container to distribute the sauce. Make positive the lid is secured!
- Let the watermelon marinate for anyplace between 1-Four hours within the fridge, in order that the flavors mix collectively and the watermelon absorbs the sauce. I wish to shake the container each hour or so simply to re-distribute the marinade.
- Once chilled, toss the watermelon with the sesame seeds and serve. I wish to drizzle the remaining sauce over the watermelon, as a result of why let all that taste go to waste?
I like to recommend letting the watermelon drain for a minimum of an hour after which marinate for an hour earlier than serving. For the perfect outcomes, go the space and chill the watermelon in a single day after which marinate for a number of hours.