Note: Hi, pals! Just a a fast reminder – a number of the hyperlinks on this website are affiliate hyperlinks, and so I’ll earn a bit of money on qualifying orders. It doesn’t value you something additional, and is a pleasant manner to assist help this website! I additionally wish to level out that I don’t promote merchandise I haven’t really tried or merchandise that I don’t belief. 🙂
Holiday baking for me all the time means cookies. While nearer to Christmas, I prefer to bake gingerbread, sugar cookies and kołaczki, through the competition of lights, it’s all rugelach for me. For these of you who aren’t accustomed to rugelach (or rugelah), they’re a cream-cheese based mostly cookie of Polish-Jewish origin (we have now a lot in frequent already), and they’re scrumptious…
This specific vacation cookie is a Hanukkah staple, however I’ve positively seen them at Christmas gatherings as properly. Traditionally, rugelach is full of dried fruit, jam, nuts and spices, although fashionable variations can embody every part from nutella and all several types of candy components, to onion jam and bagel seasoning for a savory twist. I’m a basic sort of gal, although, and so my favourite fillings are nuts and cinnamon. Feel free to get artistic, although!
The Low Carb, Gluten-Free, Vegan Rugelach Dough Ratio
Okay, so just about all baking is predicated on ratios, however rugelach particularly so. Traditional dough is actually simply equal elements butter, cream cheese and flour. Super easy. Most fashionable takes on the dough add a bit of vanilla and sugar, although I choose to maintain issues as minimalist as attainable with the dough and defer to the filling for the flavour. Because we’re utilizing low carb, vegan components, this ratio doesn’t actually work out as properly. Instead, we’re going with 1:1:1 vegan butter, vegan cream cheese, lupin flour and as a bonus add-in, 1/four half coconut flour. I do know, I do know – coconut flour could be a divisive subject, but it surely’s vital right here to attain the proper texture.
Notes & Substitutions For Low Carb Vegan Rugelach
- This recipe scales up rather well. I like making small batches, however you may simply double, triple and even quadruple this. For small batches, I combine by hand, however you positively wish to use a mixer if making a quadruple batch!
- Any bean flour will work right here! I’ve made this efficiently with lupin, chickpea and soy flours (the latter two I all the time get from Bob’s Red Mill). The texture is barely completely different with every: lupin is the densest, but it surely’s additionally lowest in carbs whereas chickpea is the lightest, but additionally highest in carbs. I included the diet data for utilizing lupin flour, but when you’ll be able to enhance your carb consumption a bit, I actually suggest making these with a lupin-chickpea flour mix (or straight chickpea flour for these of you who’re simply low-carb and never keto!).
- I like issues rather less candy, so I are likely to put solely 2 tbsp of sweetener within the filling. If you want issues on the sweeter aspect, go together with the 4tbs, or no matter most closely fits your style. 🙂
- For sweeteners, I choose to make use of Lakanto. It’s the model I’ve discovered that works greatest for baking, and doesn’t upset my abdomen. You can save 20% when you store on their website utilizing the code MeatFreeKeto.
- Be positive to make use of a vegan butter substitute that’s meant for baking (often present in stick kind), not a diffusion. Spreads don’t work the identical manner in recipes. They are a lot softer and infrequently include components to make them spreadable that can work towards you in baking.
- Do not skip the chilling levels! These are crucial to the dough retaining it’s form. Do you ever see these baking fails the place somebody simply has a pool of cookie dough that has all melted collectively within the oven? This is most actually because they didn’t chill the dough. It’s so necessary.
- I’ll be trustworthy – rugelach takes some effort to make, but it surely’s scrumptious and I believe it’s properly price it.
- I attempt to offer correct dietary data, however as a result of there are such a lot of completely different manufacturers and sorts of vegan cream cheese and butter on the market, your calculations could fluctuate barely.
Low Carb Vegan Rugelach (gluten-free, dairy-free)
- 4oz (~112g) vegan cream cheese
- 4oz (~112g) vegan butter
- 4oz (~112g) lupin flour
- 1oz (~28g) coconut flour
For the Dough
- 1oz (~28g) uncooked walnuts
- 2+four tbsp granulated sweetener (save 20% with the code MeatFreeKeto!)
- 1 tsp floor cinnamon
For the Filling
- powdered sweetener (save 20% with the code MeatFreeKeto!)
- further cinnamon
- Let the cream cheese and butter soften at room temperature, then cream them collectively till utterly easy. Stir within the flours till every part is totally mixed. The dough must be barely stiff, however nonetheless scoopable.
- Snag a chunk of parchment paper, wax paper or plastic wrap and make a disk of dough that’s round 1″ (2.5cm) thick. Wrap it up and chill within the fridge for round four hours, till strong.
- While the dough is chilling, make the filling by mixing the filling components collectively in a meals processor till it resembles the feel of moist sand (see pictures under).
- Remove the dough from the fridge and roll it out right into a spherical that’s round 1/eight” (4mm) thick. Spread the filling on prime of the spherical. I prefer to make a few passes over the filling with the rolling pin so it stays in place, since we’re not utilizing a jam to make it stick.
- At this level, you might wish to stick the dough again within the fridge for one more 10-15 minutes, relying on how heat your kitchen is.
- Remove the dough from the oven and slice into 12 roughly equal triangles, such as you have been slicing a pizza. Roll every little triangle from the huge finish right into a cute little roll. Place the rolls on a baking sheet (I prefer to line mine with a silicone baking mat) and chill for an extra 20-30 minutes.
- While the dough is chilling, preheat the oven to 350F (180C).
- After the dough has chilled, bake for 22-25 minutes, till golden throughout. Remove from the oven, let cool and sprinkle with both cinnamon, powdered sugar-substitute or no matter you need.
This low-carb, gluten-free and vegan twist on a basic cream cheese cookie are the proper vacation deal with!